Computer Requirements - Hardware and Software
Computers purchased within five years will generally have the processor speed and memory capacity to effectively use this website.
- Video card (minimum of 256 colors at 800 x 600 resolution)
- Sound card
- 56k modem (for dial-up Internet access)
Most major operating systems are supported.
Browsers and Settings
The Internet browser will also work in conjunction with your operating system. For Windows based users, Internet Explorer is highly recommended, but
Mozilla Firefox is also an option. Macintosh users should only use Firefox at this point. Regardless of your choice in browsers, make sure your settings
match those listed below.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or higher
- Internet Explorer Settings
- Temporary Internet Files (Every Visit to the Page)
- Default settings for Security and Privacy
- Medium security setting for the Internet zone
- Content advisor disabled
- Mozilla Firefox
- Mozilla Firefox 3 or higher
- Firefox Settings
- Cookies enabled
- Cache enabled
Applications and Plug-ins
The following free applications and plug-ins (also known as ActiveX Controls) are required1.
1An update of Flash Player in supported browsers is required in almost all cases. Multiple-user operating systems may require administrative permissions
to install, update, and use the applications and plug-ins.
An option to disable the Flash Player automatic notification feature prevents repeated prompts to update to a new release. See Helpful Flash Player Links
section for links to the Macromedia website. You can also check your system to see if it is configured properly
Account with Username and Password
Users must have an account to purchase tasks, self-assign tasks via an access code, or take tasks assigned by training coordinators. Users without an
account may create one by clicking the "Create a new account" link on the homepage.
Pop-up Window Blockers
Pop-up window blockers must be disabled while using this website.
Firewall settings must allow normal http traffic through the standard por 80.
Internet Connection Speeds and Data Transfer Rates
Course content is designed to be efficient and run on low bandwidth throughput. However, for the best experience it is recommended to have 1Mbs or faster.
Your connection speed can be affected by many factors. For the best experience, make sure you have a reliable connection to the internet.
Unsupported Internet Subscription Services
America Online, MSN, CompuServe, and WebTV use proprietary browsers that are not supported by this website. A possible solution for America Online, MSN,
and CompuServe subscribers is to:
- Download the latest application from the subscription service.
- Use the application to connect to the Internet.
- Minimize the application.
- Open a supported browser (IE7 or better, Firefox3 or better with the appropriate plugins).
- Enter the Web address to go to the homepage.