Because the mining industry inherently creates hazardous working conditions, MSHA requires both new miners and current miners to complete specialized safety training to teach them to recognize health and safety hazards, minimize accidents and injuries, protect themselves in hazardous and emergency situations, and facilitate MSHA compliance.
MHSA Part 46 training must be completed by those employed at the following surface mines: marble, limestone, shale, stone, crushed stone, sand, gravel, cement, colloidal phosphate, feldspar, traprock, sandstone, surface clay, granite, slate, and kaolin.
Who Needs This Course?
Based on the level of training needed, our online MSHA training provides two options, a new miner course and a current miner refresher course.
MSHA Part 46 New Miner Online Course
Miners new to the industry must complete this 8-hour training course prior to starting mining work under MSHA Part 46 training requirements. Our online course satisfies 8 of the 24 required hours for new miners, while the remaining 16 hours are provided by employers onsite.
MSHA Part 46 Refresher Online Training Course
Miners currently working in the industry who have already taken the MSHA Part 46 New Miner course, plus the required 16 hours of onsite training as specified by their employer, must complete this 8-hour MSHA Refresher Training for further instruction on MSHA regulations and requirements.
Do I need MSHA Part 46 training?
If you work in surface mines with any of the materials mentioned above, you must complete this mandatory training.
Which MSHA training do I need?
Those entering the miner industry must complete MSHA 8-hour New Miner Training plus the required 16 hours of employer-directed training. Those who have already satisfied these requirements need the MSHA 8-hour Refresher Training.
What Will I Learn?
- Overview of Surface Mining
- Health Hazards in Mining
- Hazard Communication
- Electricity, Fire, and Explosives
- Mining Machinery and Equipment
- Materials Handling and Storage
- Mining Health and Safety Standards
Our online courses provide these benefits:
- 100% online training — Skip the classroom
- Instantly download your U.S. Dept. of Labor Certificate of Completion (or we can mail you a copy for small fee)
- Narrated with engaging animation
- Computer, tablet, and smartphone compatible
- 24/7 support via live chat and email, with phone support also available
- Unlimited attempts to pass all quizzes and final exam
- Log on and off as needed — our course save your place so you can work at your own pace